YouTube Strategy Lessons from a Channel with 1.6 Million Subscribers

YouTube continues to be one of the best places to see organic growth, and the barrier to entry can be an advantage for companies and brands willing to put in the work. Whereas a blog post needs just a computer to type, a video requires an understanding of lighting, audio, storytelling, editing, and community building.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://cxl.com/blog/youtube-strategy/

Heyy All,

Don’t forget to click “show full post” above to read the full post

Quick Summary:

The first step of developing a successful YouTube strategy is choosing the right content types for your brand.

1. Education
  2. Entertainment
  3. Self-promotion

We follow the traditional funnel strategy—top, middle, and bottom—when thinking of content to create.
Top-of-the-funnel is where you bring awareness to your brand. Middle-of-funnel tries to build trust. Bottom-of-funnel seeks to inspire action.

To understand the YouTube Algorithm, you need to understand YouTube’s strategy. Ultimately, they want to keep people on the platform as long as possible—so they can show as many ads as possible.

As of November 2020, the two most important things are:

1. If viewers click on your video when they see the thumbnail and title, how long do they watch the video?
  2. Do they watch more videos after watching your video?

The strategy, then, is to create content that:

1. Your subscribers want to click on and watch.
  2. Will appeal to people similar to your subscribers.

The more content you create, the more data you acquire and changes you can make. If possible, create up to three videos a week and, at worst, create one video a month. If you can’t create a video a month, then you will inevitably fail on YouTube, and your resources are better spent elsewhere. The fewer videos you create, the higher quality each of those videos must be.

The two major metrics you need to look at are:

1. Click-through Rate (CTR), which tells you how engaging your thumbnail and title is.
  2. Average View Duration (AVD), which tells you about the quality of your content.

Enjoyyy the read

P.S Sometimes a blog might have a pop up which the aggregator picks up instead of the full post. If you notice the post doesn’t match the summary I’ve written, click the link at the bottom of the post.

3 Likes

Thank you! This was a very interesting read. I like how he said your best strategy is to focus on thumbnail, title and content, instead of keyword search. It’s crazy how many YouTube gurus are telling people focus on keyword optimization search in description and tags.

3 Likes

Yup, i really loved how they broke everything down. You can tell from how long my quick summary is, I found so much of it valuable.

1 Like