How to Scale Organic Traffic (Without Writing a Million Blog Posts)

So I stumbled across this post by Kevin Indig and I honestly believed I didn’t have time to read it - which was a lie.

I had the time as I’m meant to be productively multi-tasking, but I had no real interest. I have three windows open, one has “It’s okay not to be okay” (phenomenal k-drama), the second has a google tab of a feature for the community which I’m currently researching and the third this article.

You can guess which one had my attention lol - I genuinely did not see that plot twist coming, wawuuu!

As I’m currently the queen of scheduling, I’ve been scanning articles to do write-ups on and add to my publish queue, and I’ve been pretty ruthless with my selections.

Is it interesting? Is it beneficial? Is it applicable to my audience?

Only for me to stumble upon this article that had me like “woahhh, the knowledge being dropped!” For an article to win my attention over Kim Soo-hyun, you just know it’s got to be good.

Here’s a quick summary:

To get the most out of this article you’ll need a decent understanding of SEO, but for the most part, think of it as tools to use to get more eyes on your content. At least that’s how my summary will break it down lol

A few examples of SEO-focused product features:

• Quora spaces;
  • Youtube hashtags;
  • Twitter moments;
  • Pinterest topics;
  • Owler’s competitive analysis of Twitter followers;
  • Crunchbase showing SimilarWeb data;
  • Amazon Q&A;
  • Trello templates;
  • Databox templates.

User intent + Jobs-to-be-done = a match made in heaven
[I suggest reading this whole section within the original article as a summary won’t do it justice]

JTBD follows 5 steps:

1. Identify the focus market;
  2. Find core and side jobs customers try to get done;
  3. Categorize the jobs;
  4. Create job statements;
  5. Prioritize opportunities depending on how well they’re served at the moment (over-served, served right, underserved).

Let’s run through a hypothetical example with Spotify.

1. We can flip “focus market” to “target topic”—the topical space in which your product provides value. For Spotify, the target topic would be “music” because it’s core to Spotify’s product.

2. Define jobs: “listen to music,” “share music with friends,” “explore new genres,” etc. (There are probably hundreds or thousands of jobs.) Simply describe interactions your target audience has with your product.

3. Cluster your jobs into groups like “listen,” “share,” or “explore.” Think about the action that users take.

4. Write job statements consisting of an object, a verb, and context. For example, “listen to music on a plane”; “share music with friends while texting on WhatsApp”; or “explore new genres when I’m bored at work” (which never happens, of course).

5. Prioritize the jobs according to your core product value—the main thing users get out of your solution. This is when you look at the importance of each job for your business and categorize them as “main jobs” or “side jobs,” depending on how important they are for the customer.

Don’t neglect the emotional context
The emotional part of a job, provided through its context, is crucial. Remember, we almost always make emotional, not rational, choices. Even Google recommends looking at the emotional contexts in which users search, defining them as “needs.”

They’ve identified six needs:

1. Surprise me;
  2. Thrill me;
  3. Impress me;
  4. Educate me;
  5. Reassure me;
  6. Help me.

To merge this emotional context with the JTBD framework, use needs as filters. Each job should satisfy at least one need.

~ end ~

My takeaways: YouTube, Twitter and Pinterest are the best places to post for organic growth. When you post your content on these sites, try to create content following the JTBD framework which satisfy the 6 needs.

To be honest the 6 needs can be applied to all platforms, if your content on TikTok, for example, fulfils any of these needs it’s guaranteed to be a hit.

Click here to have a read of the full post.

Feedback

Please let me know on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being poor and 5 being great, how well this content performed within the specified categories below.

This information will be helpful in providing content tailored to your needs and interests.

Thank you.

Relevance (to your needs/interests)

0 voters

Information (how informative was the post)

0 voters

Would you recommend this post to a friend?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters