Episode 04: Shoot your shot to the stars and back

Hey ANDIES,

a little late, but still very much great, episode 4 is here. It’s not what was promised (the strategy episode), but it’s definitely what is needed right now. Inspired by the strategy session’s we’ve been happening, this episode is all about the vision and where you’re headed.

Have a listen and let me know your thoughts

Enjoyy

Here are the two articles referenced in the episode, “11 reasons you should dream big” and “dream bigger”.

Please note:

This is a private podcast, exclusive to “All-Access” + “ANDie TLC” community members. A portion of the podcast is free to listen to for all listeners.
If you’d like to become a member and access to the full episode click here

Feedback

Please let me know on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being poor and 5 being great how well this content performed within the specified categories below.

Relevance (to your needs/interests)

0 voters

Information (how informative was the post)

0 voters

Would you recommend this post to a friend?
  • No
  • Yes

0 voters

• non-members can listen to the episode here.
  • ANDies (members) can listen via your private RSS feed, which you can find here.
1 Like

So I was going to get back to this but on the platform. Despite having a vision for myself right now, listening to this forced me to go back to my vision to see if I dreamt big enough. I realised that I was limiting myself. I then visualised the biggest dream and then started working realistically from there. Can’t wait to share this in our next session.

Meanwhile, I gave it a thought and realized a few reasons why some MW probably don’t dream big enough (at least from my perspective)

1. Very few black MW are up there when it comes to success. So, other people coming behind possibly scale down to ‘manage their expectations’.
  2. Moreover, when there’s no one to look up to, one has to be an innovator. Innovation sometimes takes bravery and access to a LOT of privilege. Topic for another day.

Ultimately, I am happy this episode exists to remind me of my potential and the things I can achieve.

2 Likes

Woah, you definitely hit the nail on the head.
Representation is key and it has to be seen as happening outside of luck or some government programme.
These days the vibe is very much you’re only here because we let you, or because of a diversity and inclusion initiative. And I think that makes people think the odds aren’t ordinarily in their favour.

We deffo need more visibility of high flying Muslim women.

2 Likes

Exactly. We should probably start by defining success and what it means to “go mainstream” on our own terms. Building solid relationships and networks within and outside our spaces so they’re not “dashing us” inclusivity. It’s scary that many of us are the firsts and onlys in our respective fields. But it’s also okay to aim high in spite of this.

2 Likes