Creating a Virtual Community to Benefit Your Organization

Virtual communities have blossomed in recent years. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://learn.g2.com/virtual-community
1 Like

Heyy All,

Something to provide a little food for thought. Do read the full post as the writer gets quite in depth and even shares tips on building a successful community.

click “show full post” above to read

Enjoyyy

Benefits of a virtual community
Summary:

• People join virtual communities for a shared purpose and a common goal holds people together.
  • Communities are for People with common interests to build deeper bonds.
  • Virtual communities offer a culture of sharing authentic exchanges.
  • Communities help to (amongst other things); strengthen brands, generate buzz, and increase loyalty among customers.

Loyalty is about creating meaningful relationships based on trust.
Private virtual communities foster constructive customer-to-brand and customer-to-customer exchanges.

Serve your customers better
The authentic feedback and conversations in virtual communities help organizations to better understand their customers and their needs.

Lower customer acquisition costs
A happy customer is an incredibly powerful asset for your organization. It’s one thing to have a satisfied customer. It’s another to have a customer who will recommend you to others, and it is something else to have a customer that is a brand evangelist and loves your product or service so much that they will sing your praise at any opportunity.

Increase diversity and global reach

Feedback

Please let me know on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being poor and 5 being great how well this content performed within the specified categories below.

Relevance (to your needs/interests)

0 voters

Information (how informative was the post)

0 voters

Would you recommend this post to a friend?
  • No
  • Yes

0 voters

I was talking to my team about this today, and the names of platforms you suggested escaped me. Could you job my memory, please?

1 Like

Thank yoooooou, @Nim! :heart:

I checked out Discourse, because I love that we have an app for B+J, but there was no information about whether the platform includes community apps. Did you build yours yourself?

Not at all.

There’s an app called “DiscourseHub” and you sign in to the various platforms you follow on discourse there. So it’s not a white label app.

However I believe some of the other sites on the list also have an app function similar to discourse.

The thing with discourse is that it can be quite tricky to set up if you have no code background. And you need to log in to your terminal at least once every two months to reboot or to add any new plug ins in.

Once you’ve done it once or twice it’s fairly straightforward but I do struggle to recommend it to other users because of the work it took me to get it up and running and get the hand of it.

However that being said, it’s my most favourable of the lot.

1 Like

Ah, thank you.

I trialled Discourse for 60 mins and decided, nope. The main thing was lack of Zapier functionality and it was hella complicated.

Circle, on the other hand? enters heavenly ahhhhh Oh man! So, so, so beautiful!

I just wish there was a mobile app version people could download like Slack, ya know? It’s looking like a keeper like you told me all along. :raised_hands:t5:

1 Like

circle says their app is currently in beta and will be available soon, so they might be perfect for you.

I’ve checked and discourse does have zapier integration, but as you’ve said it’s complicated. Getting up and running is a job and a half.

Played around with Circle a lot today. Keeping! It’s perfect for our needs now, and with Zapier — oh the possibilities!

Tribe was a close second due to the gamification element, but it just isn’t as clean and plays like a social media platform. So not quite what I’m looking for.

1 Like

Can I say this whole post is "Succinctly put?’ In one of my past jobs, the company with a community platform and I can say that they benefitted greatly it for the most part. Well, there’s no community manager and I now see why I felt something was lacking.

2 Likes